Monday, April 14, 2008

Ladies, on behalf of guys, I apologize.

Guys, come on. What are we doing?

Today I decided to accompany my wife to the grocery store. No biggie on a Monday, it beats running into the "loons" shopping on the weekends. You know, the one's that stop right in the middle of the aisle to read the nutritional facts on a box of Twinkies while blocking traffic. Or the one's that drive on the wrong side of the road (aisle) and expect you to get out of the way. I always wonder how these folks are when it comes to actually driving on the road. Ugh, not good.

Okay, sorry for the distraction. So me and the Mrs. are walking through the store and go down to the freezer section. A very attractive young lady was leaning into the cooler apparently comparing prices on the various meat selections. I then notice a young guy, Dude #1, employee of the store (he had on a bright red shirt with the logo) talking on his cell and walks up next to this shopper. Still talking he's acting as if he's price shopping right along with her. When apparently she didn't look at him, he walks away and takes about three laps around a center freezer unit each time hoping to make eye contact. The one problem there is that he wasn't looking at her eyes. This was actually very entertaining. I felt like asking my wife to get a bag of popcorn and pull up a chair.

Having been unsuccessful in making some form of contact with the young lady, Dude #1 decides to go back to earning a living and do his job. Within seconds, another employee Dude #2 comes around the corner and notices the shopper. As if they read the same textbook, he proceeds to circle the area with the same "cat vs. mouse" prowl that Dude #1 had. As if on cue, another red shirt appears from around the corner, Dude #3 joins Dude #2 to share notes on the young lady. What makes this funnier is that the young lady is totally oblivious to all this activity going on around her. So I think.

My wife signals it's time to move on. As we proceed to move through the store I run into Dude #1 a couple of aisles over, giving a coworker, Dude #4, the lowdown on his excitement. I could swear I heard him say he had gotten her phone number. Whatever, dude! Anyways, we proceed and I come across Dude #3 mopping the floor while observing a woman bending over reaching for a bag of sugar on the bottom shelf. Come on. I was offended just on principle. We continue on and I come across Dude #2 telling a customer about the young lady in the freezer section. Unbelievable.

We're ready to check out and coincidentally the young lady pulls right in front of us at the cashier. As I'm loading the conveyor with our goods, I can hear the cashier trying to make some form of small talk and fumbling his words the whole time. Waiting to proceed I see the various dudes one at a time pass the checkout stand as if performing a parade field review in the military.

Ladies how do you handle it? I've seen this behaviour in nightclubs or bars, but come on at the grocery store. And guys let's have a little more respect for females who just want to go and get some groceries without potentially being hassled or in least goggled over.

Again ladies, I apologize.

Sound-off, Let it out!!!

Art

1 comments:

Syn said...

Back when I was younger, I didn't handle it that well. I showed them "that" finger. I hated the wolf whistles and comments men made. It was degrading. Now that I'm married with four kids, a wolf whistle once in awhile would be nice, lol.